Potassium is an essential micronutrient required for the healthy growth and development of all crops. It plays a crucial role of various physiological and biochemical processes within the plant. Stoller Australia has developed and released a new product, FruitFik which is a readily accessible form of Potassium and Nitrogen to assist with plant rejuvenation and enhancing the root system during the fruiting and ripening phases, when the plants have a greater capacity to fill the fruits. This in turn produces quality produce in the form of consistency (hardness) and ºBrix.
So what is the role of potassium in crops and why is it so important?
Potassium assists with;
- The regulation of osmotic potential of plant cells which is essential for maintaining cell expansion and integrity and assists with drought tolerance and prevents wilt.
- Potassium is involved in the activation of enzymes that are responsible for various metabolic processes in plants such as photosynthesis and respiration which plays a vital role in converting nutrients into useable forms.
- Potassium helps with Stomatal Regulation which is crucial for water balance and preventing water stress.
- Protein Synthesis is controlled by potassium which are essential for plant growth as they are involved in cellular processes and structural components.
- Carbohydrate transport is essential in plants and potassium facilitates the transport of sugars to improve growth and storage.
- Potassium plays a crucial role in enhancing the plants tolerance to heat and cold stress as well as disease resistance by building up with plants cell walls.
- Nutrient uptake is increased with the addition of potassium as it allows for better utilization of other essential nutrients such as Nitrogen and Phosphorus which achieves better overall plant balance.
- Potassium is crucial for the development of high quality fruits as it affects fruit size, colour, flavour and overall nutritional content leading to a higher yielding and better quality crop.
FruitFiK is Stoller Australia’s newest product release which has readily available potassium and nitrogen which can be applied foliarly or fertigated on a range tree & vine, greenhouse and field crops. Our in field trails have shown that FruitFiK has been proven to;
- Supports cell expansion and integrity in developing fruit, seeds and storage tissues.
- Can assist with sugar/baume levels in grapes.
Can increase specific gravity of potato tubers.
- Support cell expansion and integrity in the developing fruit
- been shown to aid in fruit size, quality and shelf life of high value food crops.
- FruitfiK can also reactivate root renewal when it is naturally decreased when the root system is aging thus extending the crops productive potential.
Stollers FruitFiK is available in 20L, 200L, and 1,000L IBC drums.
With and without results for Stoller’s FruitFiK
For more information on how FruitFik can increase your crops yield, quality and return on investment here.